Sunday, May 3, 2009

because, "everyone" is asking...

I do not know how often I will do this, but figured it would be an easy to way to answer some of your questions...
.
I do read all of your e-mails and comments, and the same few questions have been repeatedly asked. So, instead of addressing them one by one (I just do not have the time!), I thought I would mass reply!
.
So, here goes... The top 3 most recently asked questions (paraphrased, of course)... ANSWERED!
.
1."Why aren't you choosing to have a c-section and be at a hospital for April's birth, to give her a fighting chance?"
.
Many people say they like my honesty. So, I will just honestly say this: I do not like this question.
.
C-sections are complicated. They can be risky. And having a c-section would never be something I would just elect to do. Yes, it is something that has been discussed, especially when April's heart rate was getting lower and lower. But after discussing it, thinking it over and praying over decisions like these, D and I concluded that this was just was not what we wanted. There are many reasons... One of the more practical ones is that I am in my mid-twenties; I do want to have children in the future (regardless of what happens with April), and I don't want to risk not being able to have a vaginal birth in my lifetime, due to an elective procedure now.
.
I get e-mails asking this question more often than most would probably think. But, at this point, with April's heart rate in the 130's, as well as other recent developments, having a c-section is not even something on the table.
.
Additionally, and you can read more about this here if you missed it, but in short, we have chosen that we are not going to choose a date to meet our girl. And regarding the whole "giving April a fighting chance" part- We are waiting on God and trusting His plans. And with that, we are confident that we are giving our little girl every chance...
.
2. "Considering April's current condition, are you really still considering home birth?"
.
No.
.
We are not considering it.
.
It is the plan.
.
A lot of people look down on home birth. This has been a surprising thing for me to come to realize. But, if you could see my inbox, you too would catch a glimpse of this fact! It is interesting...
.
But, with April's "better state," we are that much more comfortable in our decision to have her in her home, and I really do not think we will waiver much in this. Especially if she continues to do better - There is absolutely no reason why having here here, is not a good thing.
.
I already said this here, but will say it again: We are praying for His will, and praying that His will is our miracle. But if it is not, we just want to hold our girl, free from all the life-saving support, that gives us moments more. We would rather our girl just feel loved and be in our arms, not on machines and in Dr.'s and nurses arms. And if God heals her? If she is well, but needs something that isn't available here? - Well, we are only a short drive (or even quicker ambulance drive!) to the hospital...
.
3. "Where are your parents in all of this? What do they think? Are they involved?"
.
They actually are not.
.
My parents and I do not have the closest relationship. Actually, that is quite an understatement...
.
My parents, were extremely upset when they found out I was pregnant in the first place. Yeah, that is understandable, I suppose. But let's just say it wasn't a "running into their loving arms" moment, nor has it ever turned into that.
.
Because we have never been that close, it actually isn't as bad as it probably all sounds. But yeah, that is that.
.
The hardest part about it all regarding my parents, is that they know all about April's conditions and have "checked out" in a lot of ways due to it. Kind of like, the last thing they want to do is think too long and hard on the idea of having a grandchild, when it is so uncertain...
.
Ick.
.
Even if I could just detach myself from April, because of all the probable "what if's"... I never would.
.
So there you have it.
.
Any more pressing questions; something you are just itching to know?
.
Let me know... Next time, I may just answer yours.